Proto Shield confusion

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 Guest_Graham C_*

Guest_Graham C_*
  • Guests

Posted 02 November 2014 - 10:38 PM

I'm new to Arduino and I've just made up the Proto Shield kit. The female connector for digital pins 8 upwards is displaced outwards with respect to the male connector, meaning that further shields won't fit. The diagram and pictures on the Linksprite page shows that this is intended, so have I misinterpreted something?

regards

Graham

#2 chain

chain

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 756 posts

Posted 03 November 2014 - 01:15 AM

Can you post some pictures of your Proto Shield here?

#3 chain

chain

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 756 posts

Posted 03 November 2014 - 01:17 AM

You can also refer to this page: http://linksprite.co...oto_Shield_Kits

#4 Guest_Graham C_*

Guest_Graham C_*
  • Guests

Posted 05 November 2014 - 01:01 AM

Thanks for the rapid reply. I'm not sure how to post an image on this forum, but you can see the problem on your link. Looking at the diagram labelled Interface Function: top left is the area for connectors to digital pins 8 and up. The female connector is soldered to the line of copper lands nearest the green LED; the male connector is soldered to the line of lands immediately above. The female connector is shifted slightly to the left for this pair. The male and female connectors on the other 3 pairs of connectors do line up. The photos in step 2 of the assembly tutorial show the same shift. The net result is that the male connectors successfully plug into the Arduino board but that female connector is out of alignment for stacking further boards.

#5 chain

chain

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 756 posts

Posted 05 November 2014 - 05:04 AM

Thanks for the rapid reply. I'm not sure how to post an image on this forum, but you can see the problem on your link. Looking at the diagram labelled Interface Function: top left is the area for connectors to digital pins 8 and up. The female connector is soldered to the line of copper lands nearest the green LED; the male connector is soldered to the line of lands immediately above. The female connector is shifted slightly to the left for this pair. The male and female connectors on the other 3 pairs of connectors do line up. The photos in step 2 of the assembly tutorial show the same shift. The net result is that the male connectors successfully plug into the Arduino board but that female connector is out of alignment for stacking further boards.

The female headers are both shift to one side, the distance of them is always fit to Arduino Shields. So please don't worry about it. 

#6 Guest_Graham C_*

Guest_Graham C_*
  • Guests

Posted 06 November 2014 - 01:55 PM

I still have the problem. I think the shift you refer to in the last post is at right angles to the one I'm talking about. I've just tried to send some images I've put on Flickr but your system tells me that it won't accept image with that extension. How can I get images here?

Graham

#7 Guest_Graham C_*

Guest_Graham C_*
  • Guests

Posted 06 November 2014 - 05:20 PM

I don't seem to be able to get an image in here, so I will paste addresses for the Flickr images.
The first image shows my kit from the top.
The second, from the underside:
The 3rd is of the Arduino, the Protoshield and a Linksprite LCD shield stacked. The uninserted pins from the LCD shield have been forced outwards by the offending female connector, but the problem is that that connector is slightly to the right of the correct position when seen from this direction and so the pins won't insert.
The fourth is of the opposite side, showing that the pins insert ok.
Finally, the 5th shows the underside of the board at greater magnification. The offending connector is seen on the right from the solder side. Compare the alignment of the male and female connectors on this side with that on the left. You will see that the solder lands for the female connector on the right are shifted downwards slightly with respect to those for the male connector, whereas the connector pair on the left have the male and female connectors aligned.

I hope these images make my problem clear. You should be able to check my assembly from the first two images but, to me, they look the same as those shown in your Linksprite link.

regards
Graham

#8 chain

chain

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 756 posts

Posted 10 November 2014 - 02:06 AM

I still have the problem. I think the shift you refer to in the last post is at right angles to the one I'm talking about. I've just tried to send some images I've put on Flickr but your system tells me that it won't accept image with that extension. How can I get images here?

Graham

You can upload your images on this forum: 

gallery

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users