24 replies to this topic

#1 cutedigi

cutedigi

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 100 posts

Posted 23 January 2015 - 05:04 PM

Hello, I recently purchased some of these robots.  The mechanical assembly of these bots was pretty straight forward but my students and I are running into issues downloading the program into these bots as well as getting the WiFi program up an running. Are there ENGLISH instructions or videos on how to  download the program in these bots.  The Wikipedia article provided on your website was not helpful.  I am trying to program these bots from a Windows 7 laptop.  Please advise, Thanks!

• carpinteyrolkh and AviefMype like this

#2 cutedigi

cutedigi

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 100 posts

Posted 23 January 2015 - 05:04 PM

Let's work on one problem at a time. When you say downloading the program into these bots. Did you mean the Arduino code?

#3 GreenAaron1017

GreenAaron1017

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 11 posts

Posted 23 January 2015 - 05:58 PM

You will have to forgive me:  I am exploring new territory along with my students I believe it is Arduino---whatever code that tells the robot how to communicate with my PC thus enable it to run.  

#4 GreenAaron1017

GreenAaron1017

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 11 posts

Posted 23 January 2015 - 06:01 PM

We have successfully built the robots but we are unsure how to get them to run. 

#5 jim

jim

Advanced Member

• Administrators
  • 3,385 posts

Posted 24 January 2015 - 06:56 AM

can you please send link to the code that you try to download?

#6 GreenAaron1017

GreenAaron1017

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 11 posts

Posted 24 January 2015 - 03:05 PM

The links is at the bottom of the page. http://store.linkspr...i-video-camera/

#7 jim

jim

Advanced Member

• Administrators
  • 3,385 posts

Posted 25 January 2015 - 11:41 AM

As explained in the wiki, please download Arduino IDE from arduino.cc , and download the Arduino code in the wiki to the board. The board type is: The Arduino control board on the Rover is "Arduino Diecimila or Duemilanove W/Atmea168".

The download port is shown in:

Assemblystep_21_en.jpg

#8 GreenAaron1017

GreenAaron1017

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 11 posts

Posted 26 January 2015 - 02:21 AM

Hi Jim, thank you.  THat was a helpful start.  I ran into more trouble after I installed the Arduino IDE.  WIndows would not locate the driver for for the robot's USB cord .  I tried searching for the driver--even dowloading "ArduinoUno.inf like another forum administrator suggested; it would not work (according to him, it is what I needed to have WIndows recognize my bot's USB cord).    When I tried to use the Arduino IDE software despite this,  it will fail to upload the program into the bot.  Somthing to do with the Com port but the program will not let me configure a different "serial port" (it is greyed off).

I know that I am missing somthing probably very simple for these bots; any help you can provide for programming these guys would be appreciated!

#9 David

David

Advanced Member

• Administrators
  • 70 posts

Posted 28 January 2015 - 08:15 AM

From the wiki page FAQ, there is a  CP2102 TTL to USB cable in the kit.  

#10 GreenAaron1017

GreenAaron1017

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 11 posts

Posted 28 January 2015 - 02:52 PM

Yes, we plugged in the cable but the cable is not the issue.  

#11 Tim

Tim

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 25 posts

Posted 28 January 2015 - 02:59 PM

The USB driver can be downloaded from: https://www.silabs.c...VCPDrivers.aspx

#12 David

David

Advanced Member

• Administrators
  • 70 posts

Posted 29 January 2015 - 07:31 AM

Here is step by step instruction to get your control board running.  

Step 1: Connect 5V power adapter to power socket of the control board.  A blue LED lights up and a red LED in the right lower corner is blinking.  Connect the control board to PC with the UART-USB cable.  

IMG 1634

Step 2: You will see a small icon in the right lower corner of your windows.  A red cross in the icon indicates that a driver is not installed. Do not use Windows Update to install the driver. It can find the Silocon Lab chip set but the driver cannot be found.  Instead, download the driver from the link above https://www.silabs.c...VCPDrivers.aspx. Choose the driver for Windows 7.   Download it and unzip it into a directory.  

download Usb driver

Step 3: Click on Start in your windows. Choose Control Panel/System/Device Manage. Find the Silicon Lab CP210x USB to UART bridge under Ports.  Click on it then click on Update Driver. Find the drive you just downloaded and unzipped, and install it.  The small icon with red cross will be gone, which means that the device is ready to use.

Usb driver installed

Step 4: Download Arduino IDE 1.0.6 from Arduino website.  Install it and the USB driver.   

Step 5: Download the Arduino Demo code at  https://s3.amazonaws...Sample_Code.ino.

Step 6: Open the Arduino code by clicking Open the find the downloaded file.  When IDE says you need to create a project with whatever name, click OK.  

Step 7: Click on Tools/Board, select  Arduino Diecimila or Duemilanove W/Atmea168. Then click on Tools/Port, select the port that the UART-USB cable is inserted into.  Click on the toolbar with a right thick arrow inside. Your Arduino code is complied and uploaded into the Control board. When successful, you will see message in the bottom status window. 

IMG 1630
IMG 1631
adrduino sample code downloaded

Up to this point, your control board is working.  I just tested it, and it worked just fine.   

#13 GreenAaron1017

GreenAaron1017

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 11 posts

Posted 29 January 2015 - 03:13 PM

Upload sucessful.  Thank You David.  Now How do I configure the rover to work with the PC control software (AKA stream video from the rover's webcam & control it over the wifi). 

#14 GreenAaron1017

GreenAaron1017

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 11 posts

Posted 29 January 2015 - 03:15 PM

This is the link that Linksprite provided   for the PC control software (it is at the bottom of the page).   http://www.linksprit...Streaming_Robot

#15 David

David

Advanced Member

• Administrators
  • 70 posts

Posted 29 January 2015 - 07:02 PM

We need to start over with assembling the Rover.  will update soon.  

#16 GreenAaron1017

GreenAaron1017

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 11 posts

Posted 29 January 2015 - 09:19 PM

Ok thank You

#17 David

David

Advanced Member

• Administrators
  • 70 posts

Posted 30 January 2015 - 07:54 AM

Already finished assembling the mechnics. But I need to buy some tool. Will continue working on it at the weekend.  The tutorial will take a while.  

#18 GreenAaron1017

GreenAaron1017

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 11 posts

Posted 30 January 2015 - 01:43 PM

Ok.   I look forward to closing this project.    thank you. 

#19 David

David

Advanced Member

• Administrators
  • 70 posts

Posted 02 February 2015 - 08:54 AM

Great news!  I just finished the project and made everything work (except there are some Chinese in the tutorial or software).  Here is the tutorial http://www.linksprit...instruction.pdf.   Hope you can make your Rover running as well.   

#20 GreenAaron1017

GreenAaron1017

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 11 posts

Posted 02 February 2015 - 07:17 PM

Thank You for assembling the instruction guide David!   Following your directions, I was able to install the USB driver for the bot, upload the "Arduino sample code" from the link on the Linksprite Website,  install the PC software, enter the ip address in settings & stream the video from my robot to the Linksprite Softtware provided.  However I am still unable to send commands to the robot (aka get anything to move using the PC software).  Am I missing a step?  Did I upload the wrong code using the IDE software?  I can see the light at the end of tunnel!  Please  assist!  

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users