10 replies to this topic

#1 woodtore

woodtore

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 50 posts

Posted 03 February 2015 - 04:33 AM

I am trying to get Ubuntu 14 on my pcDuino so that I can use the 5mp OV5640 camera module. My problem is PhoenixCard isn't an option because I do not have a windows computer available and the LiveSuit option is not recognizing my pcDuino when plugged into the OTG. I suspect the problem with LiveSuit is the 64bit system I am running it on. Does anyone have any ideas on how I am going to get the NAND flashed without a dd image?

Thanks

• LS-Support-12 likes this

#2 LS-Support-12

LS-Support-12

Forum Support

• Moderators
  • 326 posts

Posted 03 February 2015 - 07:44 AM

I am trying to get Ubuntu 14 on my pcDuino so that I can use the 5mp OV5640 camera module. My problem is PhoenixCard isn't an option because I do not have a windows computer available and the LiveSuit option is not recognizing my pcDuino when plugged into the OTG. I suspect the problem with LiveSuit is the 64bit system I am running it on. Does anyone have any ideas on how I am going to get the NAND flashed without a dd image?

Thanks

This is really good question. What is the preferred way of installing Ubuntu 14 to pcDuino using Ubuntu, not Windows (if there is any)?

#3 cwilt

cwilt

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,012 posts

Posted 03 February 2015 - 12:53 PM

What kind of system and OS are you trying to load pcduino with? I have XP running in a VM on my Mac pro and it works well enough.

#4 LS-Support-12

LS-Support-12

Forum Support

• Moderators
  • 326 posts

Posted 03 February 2015 - 12:59 PM

What kind of system and OS are you trying to load pcduino with? I have XP running in a VM on my Mac pro and it works well enough.

Ubuntu, Linux

#5 woodtore

woodtore

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 50 posts

Posted 03 February 2015 - 07:38 PM

Ubuntu 13.10

#6 Harry LS

Harry LS

Advanced Member

• Administrators
  • 37 posts

Posted 05 February 2015 - 04:34 AM

Our engineers just generated a DD image that can be used in Ubuntu.Please try the following link to download it:  http://pan.baidu.com/s/1gdCdE0N

This link is a Cloud storage website at China. Once you enter the webpage, click the "下载(530.2M)" on the top right corner, and then select "普通下载" in the pop-up window。The downloading should start then.

#7 LS-Support-12

LS-Support-12

Forum Support

• Moderators
  • 326 posts

Posted 05 February 2015 - 10:28 AM

Our engineers just generated a DD image that can be used in Ubuntu.Please try the following link to download it:  http://pan.baidu.com/s/1gdCdE0N

This link is a Cloud storage website at China. Once you enter the webpage, click the "下载(530.2M)" on the top right corner, and then select "普通下载" in the pop-up window。The downloading should start then.

After painful download process (it lasted really long time), here is what I have:

After burning the image to microSD card and inserting it into the pcDuino, TX LED is, at first, blinking slowly (as it is upgrading the kernel), and then it starts to blink fast, without stopping. I am already waiting more than an hour, so...

Of course, nothing happened and nothing is shown when I try to boot up (without SD card in pcDuino).

Another thing that is quite confusing is that on this image is written pcDuino3B, not pcDuino3.

Previous process, when dd method is used in Ubuntu was like this:

Firstly burn the kernel image on microSD card, update the kernel and then insert the USB or microSD with Ubuntu image and update.sh script on it.

However, on the attached link there is no kernel image nor the update.sh script.

#8 woodtore

woodtore

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 50 posts

Posted 06 February 2015 - 12:15 AM

LS-Support-12,

I think that for Ubuntu 14 the kernel image and the rootfs is combined unlike ubuntu 12 where they are separated and require two storage media. 

Also, are you using the SD card slot on your computer to put the image on the uSD? When I was trying to do that it caused the fast blinking you describe. After I switched to a usb>SD dongle and formated the SD, PhoenixCard took a lot longer writing to the SD and it worked.

Torey

#9 LS-Support-12

LS-Support-12

Forum Support

• Moderators
  • 326 posts

Posted 06 February 2015 - 05:42 AM

LS-Support-12,

I think that for Ubuntu 14 the kernel image and the rootfs is combined unlike ubuntu 12 where they are separated and require two storage media. 

Also, are you using the SD card slot on your computer to put the image on the uSD? When I was trying to do that it caused the fast blinking you describe. After I switched to a usb>SD dongle and formated the SD, PhoenixCard took a lot longer writing to the SD and it worked.

Torey

That could, indeed, be the issue. I also found that it is not recommended to use internal (built-in) SD card slot.

#10 cwilt

cwilt

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,012 posts

Posted 06 February 2015 - 12:09 PM

Correct. Everything is done in one single pass. I would not recommend using a low quality SD card for this. Mine became really warm during the process.

#11 shuntera

shuntera

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 15 posts

Posted 17 July 2015 - 08:28 PM

After painful download process (it lasted really long time), here is what I have:

After burning the image to microSD card and inserting it into the pcDuino, TX LED is, at first, blinking slowly (as it is upgrading the kernel), and then it starts to blink fast, without stopping. I am already waiting more than an hour, so...

Of course, nothing happened and nothing is shown when I try to boot up (without SD card in pcDuino).

That is exactly my situation too, slow bliningfollowed by the fast blinking that indicates the write failed.

ETA : i got it to work by using the two part flash, kernel to SD card first and Ubunto on USB flash drive.  The combined image was not working for me.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users