• Please log in to reply
15 replies to this topic

#1 jim

jim

Advanced Member

• Administrators
  • 3,385 posts

Posted 12 February 2015 - 09:26 PM

kernel has been compiled in Ubuntu 64 12.04 successfully. but after copying  uImage and script.bin , pcDuino does not reboot. 

#2 jim

jim

Advanced Member

• Administrators
  • 3,385 posts

What lesson do you follow from http://learn.linksprite.com ?
and what your steps?

#3 jim

jim

Advanced Member

• Administrators
  • 3,385 posts

http://www.pcduino.c...el-for-pcduino/

My pcduino is v1

#4 jim

jim

Advanced Member

• Administrators
  • 3,385 posts

Hey!

Same thing here(pcduino v1)=>kernel 3.4.29+ refuse to boot, compiled from pcduino and from pc. I disabled ramdisk support(http://learn.linkspr...pcduino-itself/) without any success.

On using serial port debug, I see that it tries to load kernel but stay blocked...Tried with newer kernel 3.4.90 series, and all is ok...

Greets,
Alex.

#5 jim

jim

Advanced Member

• Administrators
  • 3,385 posts

I reused precompiled kernel 3.4.29+ shipped from ubuntu image, and it works perfectly. Why own compiled kernel don't boot on pcduino v1? anyone can confirme this problem wit pcduino v2?

It seems on pcduino v3 all is ok...

#6 jim

jim

Advanced Member

• Administrators
  • 3,385 posts

No users have problem with pcduino v1/v2 custom 3.4.29+ kernel? what's mean virtual translation first line in kernel menuconfig? can it be the don't refuse to boot problem?

#7 jim

jim

Advanced Member

• Administrators
  • 3,385 posts

I am having same problem here in PCDuino V1 with 3.4.29+ kernel

Using same instruction as nzl -> http://www.pcduino.c...el-for-pcduino/

The board just dont boot when powered up.

I am repeating the instruction for second time now to see if I miss anything

Adussart, I am wondering where to find kernel 3.4.90?

#8 jim

jim

Advanced Member

• Administrators
  • 3,385 posts

After repeating the "lesson" steps 3 time, I can confirm this issue for V1 board with 3.4.29+ kernel.

I guess, to move forward, will have to use kernel 3.4.90 as per Adussart post 

"On using serial port debug, I see that it tries to load kernel but stay blocked...Tried with newer kernel 3.4.90 series, and all is ok..."

Unfortunately I don't  know how to do this. Is there tutorial or lesson somewhere describing how to recompile kernel using kernel 3.4.90 etc?

Thanks & Regards
Haris

#9 jim

jim

Advanced Member

• Administrators
  • 3,385 posts

Posted 12 February 2015 - 09:27 PM

hey harishashim!

Kernel 3.4.90 can be compiled and works without any problem, but c_environnement will not works because it relies on hardwarelib that's no shipped updated to kernel 3.4.90 :-(

I can't explain how to compile kernel 3.4.90 because I'm using archlinux and procedure isn't really the same(I compile kernel from pcduino), but the better way for you to do this is to compile in vms in you x86 and follow tutorial from linksprite(use gitthub from linux-sunxi.org for kernel source)

Greets,
Alex.

#10 jim

jim

Advanced Member

• Administrators
  • 3,385 posts

Thanks for the reply! 

"but c_environnement will not works because it relies on hardwarelib that's no shipped updated to kernel 3.4.90 :-("

This is a bummer. I hope someone in PCDuino read this and reply a fix soon. Either a fix to 3.4.29+ or move to updated kernel.

I have made some progress. Manage to build 3.4.90 kernel by following this instruction

http://linux-sunxi.org/Linux_Kernel

Note: The above instruction check out another git repo separate from pcduino kernel repo. Putting this note here since I am not sure whether using linux-sunxi kernel from different source is ok or not. But I am pretty sure that the instruction point to a repo that is pcduino kernel upstream.

Out of the 3.4.90 linux-sunxi kernel build, now I have 

- uImage file
  - /lib/modules/3.4.90-00253-ge37d760

Question 1: How to integrate this to pcduino and copy it into the board? My guess is uImage goes to /boot and /lib/modules/3.4.90-00253-ge37d760 goes to /lib/modules on the board. But this sounds too simple.

Question 2: If something goes wrong and brick the board, can I recover it back by re flashing kernel and installing ubuntu? (http://www.pcduino.c...-install-notes/)

Cheers!
Haris

#11 jim

jim

Advanced Member

• Administrators
  • 3,385 posts

Good job to have successfully compiled kernel 3.4.90!  wink.gif from now to update your board's kernel you need to mount /dev/nanda and copy uImage file to it:

~#mount /dev/nanda /mnt
~#cp uImage /mnt
~#sync

I always use sync command to be sure to have cache writted to physic device...as you like ;-) and don't forget to install your's kernel module(from kernel sourcedir):

~#linux-3.4.90/make modules_install

If you have any problem, you can easily go back by reflashing,  follow the normal step to reinstall ubuntu and all will be ok. To gain time, I've created a sdcard  backup card to easily retreive my system but it needs some tricks cause the shipped board_setup.sh script from pcduino team don't works for me.

I hope that someone from pcduino team will read this post to solve problem with custom compiled 3.4.29+ kernels! because it can be very useful to compile its own kernel(case like:spi debug is buggy and need some modifs, v4l2 support, kernel with others options etc...)...

#12 jim

jim

Advanced Member

• Administrators
  • 3,385 posts

Nice!

Thanks to Adussart help, I manage to customize the kernel, recompile and integrate it to PCDuino v1. But there is observable performance issue. For instance the desktop environment is usable but stuttering badly. To the point that I just boot directly to console now instead to the DE. In addition, I am capturing video using V4L and I see every few second the frame freeze for a second. This does not happen before.

Anyway, with this I am confirming Adussart finding that using newer 3.4.90 kernel result to bootable board. While using 3.4.29+ (which is what came with the PCDuino kernel source)  result to unbootable board.

In view of the performance issue, I am gonna have to wait for fix to 3.4.29+. This is critical.

Best Regards,
Haris

#13 jim

jim

Advanced Member

• Administrators
  • 3,385 posts

try  pcduino-linux-headers-3-4-79
http://learn.linkspr...ver-on-pcduino/

#14 jim

jim

Advanced Member

• Administrators
  • 3,385 posts

Hey kang.yang!

Thanks for your fix, but I don't understand how it can solve main problem: 3.4.29+ customized kernel booting? Your solution can be useful for drivers compilation but for kernel compilation? do I need to replace 3.4.29+ kernel sources header with 3.4.79+?

How about kernel versionning module from 3.4.29+ compiled with 3.4.79+? it seems that you force compilation version?

Thanks for your interesest in these post,
Alex.

#15 jim

jim

Advanced Member

• Administrators
  • 3,385 posts

Nice to see that you've reached you goal wink.gif it's always a pleasure to help other users to reach their aims!  smiley.gif

I don't have observed perf issue with 3.4.90 kernel's, maybe have you've selected kernel options that affect perf issue? what's said 'dmesg' output? 

Your perfomance issue seems related to video(v4l, xorg)? have you tried to recompil your mali driver? what's say /var/log/xorg/Xorg.0.log?  does it use fbturbo or fbdev?

Greets,
Alex.

Nice!

Thanks to Adussart help, I manage to customize the kernel, recompile and integrate it to PCDuino v1. But there is observable performance issue. For instance the desktop environment is usable but stuttering badly. To the point that I just boot directly to console now instead to the DE. In addition, I am capturing video using V4L and I see every few second the frame freeze for a second. This does not happen before.

Anyway, with this I am confirming Adussart finding that using newer 3.4.90 kernel result to bootable board. While using 3.4.29+ (which is what came with the PCDuino kernel source)  result to unbootable board.

In view of the performance issue, I am gonna have to wait for fix to 3.4.29+. This is critical.

Best Regards,
Haris

#16 jim

jim

Advanced Member

• Administrators
  • 3,385 posts

Posted 12 February 2015 - 09:28 PM

I have the same issue with kernel 3.4.29+, I customized it to support Playstation Eye camera module (GSPCA) and it hangs on "Starting kernel ..." then reboots to try again and again.

My board is a PCDuinov2.
Is there some fix? I can not use a new kernel version because I need the C environment in my project.

Please PCDuino's staff fix this problem with kernel 3.4.29+, it is a simple error to reproduce and test but will help a lot the developers who own your board and the community itself.

Thanks

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users