13 replies to this topic

#1 jesterle

jesterle

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 11 posts

Posted 26 May 2015 - 07:17 PM

Hi.

I am running a pcduino v2 to display a information screen 24/7. Its an easy task, just show a website on a 27" monitor. 

PCDuino v2

Ubuntu

out-of-the-box

Browser: the one comes with Ubuntu

After 3-4 days, the screen is going to be black (TV turns off) and I have to restart the pcduino. 
Looking at the pcduino I noticed some LEDs are still on and (I believe) flickering. When it happen again I will notice with ones if it is important. 

(its a hazzle to get to the pcduino, its mounted up high)

I was thinking about the screensaver first, but I turned the screensaver off and I am unable to "wake" the pcduino up with a mouse of a keyboard.

Any ideas what can be the reason for such behavior? I just want to run it "virtuallty forever".

Thanks a lot.

jesterle

#2 cwilt

cwilt

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,012 posts

Posted 26 May 2015 - 09:24 PM

Two things I would look at. Power supply heating up and dropping voltage. Check the filesystem and see if its filling up with cached web page information.

#3 jesterle

jesterle

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 11 posts

Posted 27 May 2015 - 12:12 PM

Thanks. I will check and report.

#4 LS-Support-12

LS-Support-12

Forum Support

• Moderators
  • 326 posts

Posted 27 May 2015 - 01:06 PM

Meanwhile, you could schedule an automatic restart of the pcDuino every 24 hours to make it up and running as you wish. Just make a script that will open the webpage you want for you and that is it.

#5 jesterle

jesterle

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 11 posts

Posted 27 May 2015 - 02:51 PM

yes, that's a good idea, unfortunately there is a login involved which must be entered every time. I will find a way to make this work. 

#6 LS-Support-12

LS-Support-12

Forum Support

• Moderators
  • 326 posts

Posted 27 May 2015 - 09:31 PM

You mean login for the webpage?

#7 jesterle

jesterle

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 11 posts

Posted 29 May 2015 - 11:44 AM

Yes, webpage login. 

Ok, I started the test yesterday, I checked the memory and it drained rapidly when using chromium (running just the one tab with the website).

After 8 hours and an average ob 5mb memory drain per hours I stopped it, used google to find out that a lot of people suspecting a memory leak in Chrome. 

I thought it can't hurt to install a different browser, so I installed midori (firefox install wasnt possible) and I left it run for more then 16hours now, memory is completely stable, nearly no "movement".

I will let it run until Saturday, where I can get a lift to replace the other pcduino with the current one. 

#8 LS-Support-12

LS-Support-12

Forum Support

• Moderators
  • 326 posts

Posted 30 May 2015 - 12:45 AM

(firefox install wasnt possible)

Why?

#9 cwilt

cwilt

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,012 posts

Posted 30 May 2015 - 01:05 AM

I also add heatsinks to my pcduino A20 chips. Something to think about before replacing.

#10 Klaafstra99

Klaafstra99

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 14 posts

Posted 01 June 2015 - 09:00 AM

I even have to apply forced cooling using a 5v fan (in addition to the capacitor over the power pins) on top of my heatsink. Otherwise my pcduino3 nano crashes randomly under heavy loads...

#11 jesterle

jesterle

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 11 posts

Posted 01 June 2015 - 12:15 PM

Why?

I dont know. While downloading ubuntu told me something about "couldnt downlaod, package not accessable". Everything else was installable.

#12 jesterle

jesterle

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 11 posts

Posted 01 June 2015 - 12:16 PM

I also add heatsinks to my pcduino A20 chips. Something to think about before replacing.

cool idea. :) :) 

Something I have to think about. 

#13 LS-Support-12

LS-Support-12

Forum Support

• Moderators
  • 326 posts

Posted 01 June 2015 - 11:41 PM

I dont know. While downloading ubuntu told me something about "couldnt downlaod, package not accessable". Everything else was installable.

While downloading Ubuntu?

How are you trying to install Firefox?

#14 jesterle

jesterle

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 11 posts

Posted 02 June 2015 - 12:32 PM

I used the package manager in the desktop, searched for Firefox, selected firefox, the download started, then the error message showed up. 
I try to make a screenshot tomorrow morning. 

• LS-Support-12 likes this

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users