• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 ronsimpson

ronsimpson

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 14 posts

Posted 09 July 2015 - 02:19 PM

Under Android there is a button "applications".  Push the button and 10,000 names come up and you can sort and search and click on the one you want.  Very simple.

Under Ubuntu you must know to open up the terminal and type sudo apt-get install [anything you want].  But I don't know what I want.  

If I use the web browser and search for ubuntu applications, I can find some but they will not down load over the browser.  I think they are for the "PC" not "ARM".  

I need a list of what applications will work on the pcduino3.  I see the raspberry pie has a list but I think this is a bad idea.  Maybe I should look at beagle bone black.  

#2 cwilt

cwilt

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,012 posts

Posted 09 July 2015 - 05:16 PM

Run synaptic package manager.

#3 woodtore

woodtore

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 50 posts

Posted 09 July 2015 - 10:58 PM

Ron what type of packages are you looking for? What are you trying to do with your PcDuino? While the packages are available to browse with synaptic, most of the time I find my packages discussed elsewhere on the web. If I had a dime for every time I typed "sudo apt-get install" .....

#4 cwilt

cwilt

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,012 posts

Posted 09 July 2015 - 11:09 PM

Ron what type of packages are you looking for? What are you trying to do with your PcDuino? While the packages are available to browse with synaptic, most of the time I find my packages discussed elsewhere on the web. If I had a dime for every time I typed "sudo apt-get install" .....

By his description he is wanting something like the play store for ubuntu which would be Synaptic Package Manager.

#5 cwilt

cwilt

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,012 posts

Posted 10 July 2015 - 01:21 AM

If you are using ubuntu 14 then synaptic is missing from the default image.

To install:

In at terminal execute...
>sudo apt-get update
>sudo apt-get install -y synaptic
>sudo apt-get install nano
>sudo nano /usr/share/applications/synaptic.desktop
Change Exec= line from Exec=synaptic-pkexec to Exec=gksudo synaptic
Save and exit.

#6 woodtore

woodtore

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 50 posts

Posted 10 July 2015 - 09:12 PM

By his description he is wanting something like the play store for ubuntu which would be Synaptic Package Manager.

Agreed. What I am trying to point out is that you wouldn't go to synaptic to pick a Python IDE for example. It is a much better decision to read a few reviews comparing the IDEs available and by the time you have chosen one most of the time you know the package name. Most of the time the package descriptions on synaptic is much less informative than alternative means.

#7 cwilt

cwilt

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,012 posts

Posted 10 July 2015 - 09:31 PM

Agreed. What I am trying to point out is that you wouldn't go to synaptic to pick a Python IDE for example. It is a much better decision to read a few reviews comparing the IDEs available and by the time you have chosen one most of the time you know the package name. Most of the time the package descriptions on synaptic is much less informative than alternative means.

Very true. I do not disagree and prefer to use apt-get myself but for someone new to linux a package manager is handy.

#8 ronsimpson

ronsimpson

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 14 posts

Posted 10 July 2015 - 11:22 PM

My goal is to get a hand full of these boards.

1) Now I have a 80186 computer board I made years ago.  It is running a multitasking BASIC compiler.  The computer now controls the house and water sprinkler and motion detectors, X-10, zigbee radios, etc.  It has a very clumsy way of getting on the network.  I have made a number of 16-relay boards and 16-input boards using I2C.    

2) I have a USB video capture 'thing' and would like to put security video on the network.  I have seen several of these projects.  That will probably eat up all the horse power of one board.  My board has a big SATA hard drive and I think it should store video.  (one frame/second)

3) Along that line I can get a USB TV tuner and do the same thing.   That should eat up board 3.  I am not very interested in the video but I want a list of what is available to watch.  It looks like I can switch channels every 30 seconds and make a list of what is on.   (web server the list)

4) I am using my first pcduino3 nano as a PC  to force me to learn.  So I need Solitaire card game.  lol   Office!  I don't know C.  I am learning Python3 on a PC and am ready to move to the pcduino and start using IO pins.  If I could find a good BASIC I would be turning on relays now.   

I need a simple web server thing where Python can read/write to "home.htm" that can be seen on the network.  Here is what I have running using a 8051 computer.  http://gradllc.com/internet.HTM 

Thanks for you ideas.  

#9 woodtore

woodtore

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 50 posts

Posted 11 July 2015 - 12:08 AM

Check out "motion" for number 2. Message me for the little bit of info I can provide on that.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users