Photo

Screen Times Out (Goes Blank after ~10 Minutes)

console-kit-daemon Xorg Xrandr ssh default screen screen goes blank

• Please log in to reply
13 replies to this topic

#1 DarthBane

DarthBane

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 22 posts

Posted 07 August 2015 - 06:42 AM

Okay, In short my screen goes blank with no input after ~10 minutes.  So, I am in the process of going through all the log files, syslog, Xorg et cetera.  In the midst of my contemplations, I wonder if anyone has fixed this problem already?

Now, I know everyone might get upset about how I accomplished my current installation of Ubuntu.  My situation was bleak, no card reader to load and dd flash nand from within after copying to the sd card... I even tried to dd image the sdcard using netcat then ssh.  Then stretch the partition using gparted.  No dice.

It was then that in order to maintain a useable system state that I used the boot option to copy the ubuntu installation to sd card.  Then I downloaded the upgrade tool using apt-get.  Then I did:

do-release-upgrade

This brought me up to the current state:

root@ubuntu:/home/ubuntu# uname -a
Linux ubuntu 3.4.79+ #2 SMP PREEMPT Fri Dec 5 17:23:11 CST 2014 armv7l armv7l armv7l GNU/Linux

root@ubuntu:/home/ubuntu# lsb_release -a
No LSB modules are available.
Distributor ID:	Ubuntu
Description:	Ubuntu 14.04.3 LTS
Release:	14.04
Codename:	trusty
root@ubuntu:/home/ubuntu# 

So naturally to find the issues regarding the screen going blank while unattended and (xscreensaver is disabled).

I started combing the /var/logs to find the answer.

syslog lists console-kit-daemon as having issues when it occured so naturally I am researching that.

Xorg.0.log says Mali is not loading properly:

[    21.808] (II) LoadModule: "mali"
[    21.809] (II) Loading /usr/lib/xorg/modules/drivers/mali_drv.so
[    21.846] (EE) Failed to load /usr/lib/xorg/modules/drivers/mali_drv.so: libUMP.so: cannot open shared object file: No such file or directory
[    21.846] (II) UnloadModule: "mali"
[    21.846] (II) Unloading mali
[    21.846] (EE) Failed to load module "mali" (loader failed, 7)

Here is Xrandr --query

root@ubuntu:/home/ubuntu# xrandr --query
xrandr: Failed to get size of gamma for output default
Screen 0: minimum 1366 x 768, current 1366 x 768, maximum 1366 x 768
default connected 1366x768+0+0 0mm x 0mm
   1366x768       60.0* 

naturally, I ssh[ed] into the pcduino3 nano after it happened... then did xrandr --query

It said no display present.

Naturally I tried, powering off/on the display, and used xset to force the default display on.

No dice.

Soooo... I am guessing this might be related to Mali/console-kit-daemon/Xorg/Xrandr issue.  If anyone knows anything about the specific configurations present and modules of the latest kernel build for these programs I would be very interested.  Also any knowledge or references on Mali and the object librarys would be a second noteworthy thing.

Since I am typing this message from the pcduino3 nano, there are not a lot of problems I have.

I use a chargeable battery running at 100% 5v@500mamp to 2.1amps max, it is constantly charged through a 5v@1.83amp charger, with a high speed cooling fan.  No heat issues.  Most of this is end-user (myself) designed.  I have had no reboot issues at all.

From what I know, certain Xorg/Xrandr/console-kit-daemon settings have been known to cause all kinds of display issues.  However, since it is just a simple "power off display after no input for ~10 minutes" issue... My educated guess is that this is a specific setting.  SSH[ing] in shows that the system is up and running and useable after the monitor goes dark.  However the only current remedy I have is hitting the reset button. 

• carpinteyrolkh likes this

One who has freed themselves from all restrictions has reached perfection… their potential fulfilled. Perfect strength, perfect power, perfect destiny.

Honor is a fool's prize. Glory is of no use to the dead

Patience is a secret weapon that forces deception to reveal itself. – Dale Carnegie

Those who play with the devil's toys will be brought by degrees to wield his sword.

R. Buckminster Fuller 

#2 cwilt

cwilt

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,012 posts

Posted 07 August 2015 - 10:42 AM

That is a very unique way of installing OS to pcDuino.

Without sitting down at one and trying it I would first test "setterm -blank 0". Anything greater than 0 is the time until black out. 

#3 DarthBane

DarthBane

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 22 posts

Posted 10 August 2015 - 07:47 AM

That is a very unique way of installing OS to pcDuino.

Without sitting down at one and trying it I would first test "setterm -blank 0". Anything greater than 0 is the time until black out. 

This turns out to be a framebuffer (sleep/wakeup) issue and is related to the uboot kernel the board uses in nand etc..

after going through and trying I am not kidding or exaggerating a hundred different options i think it is a kernel setting that is broken.

Sun-xi seems to confirm this, consoleblank is irreversably set to 600 (10 minutes) in any 3.4.xxx versions of the sun-xi uboot kernel.

Setterm didnt work... uEnv.txt did not, xinitrc setting didnt work, tried various different things including getting out a hex editor.

If you guys come up with a solution, let me know.

I also changed the previous post to reflect the verified blanking time.  I was aware of this the evening after your post where I spent eight hours trying to fix this and got zero accomplished... fact only.  I am putting this one on the backburner for now, as it does not seem like it will interfere with my project.

One who has freed themselves from all restrictions has reached perfection… their potential fulfilled. Perfect strength, perfect power, perfect destiny.

Patience is a secret weapon that forces deception to reveal itself. – Dale Carnegie

Those who play with the devil's toys will be brought by degrees to wield his sword.

R. Buckminster Fuller 

#4 cwilt

cwilt

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,012 posts

Posted 10 August 2015 - 10:47 AM

Thanks for the update and for researching the issue well.

#5 DarthBane

DarthBane

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 22 posts

Posted 10 August 2015 - 09:02 PM

Thanks for the update and for researching the issue well.

Well, no problem.  I do still have many questions.  If someone was irrational enough to set console blank to 600, might they also be irrational enough to set power off at 7200?  I think so.  The problem seems to most likely encompass more than keyboard input.  This is just deductive reasoning.

If you know any way to mitigate the effects of debilitating settings like this to my robotics project... Lets say for example through any kbd or like daemons that do not seem to be used by our tasty flavor of Linux.  In short I am still psyched up about my robotics project.  I just have to ensure there are no stifling bugs first.  In lieu of that not working I have to go and find another board which upsets me because I think the pcduino3 has much untouched potential including me being able to write a Mali module to use the gpu(s) as microprocessors.  I NEVER do anything small of course.

R. Buckminster Fuller 

#6 cwilt

cwilt

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,012 posts

Posted 10 August 2015 - 09:26 PM

I know of a few small robotics projects but nothing extreme.

Please keep us posted on your progress.

#7 DarthBane

DarthBane

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 22 posts

Posted 10 August 2015 - 10:18 PM

Thank you, in the meantime, I think this should be moved to the kernel module discussion and renamed consoleblank=600 under pcduino-kernel 3.4.79

I'm glad you are a well known robotics enthusiast.

Additionally I'll just push this as a bug for this kernel through ubuntu and some other places.  Eventually we will find a workaround.

it is a wireless keyboard and mouse, so most likely that compounds the issue.  It looks like that is through evdevice.  

Is there ANY documentation on github or anywhere on this board, kernel or configurations? 

R. Buckminster Fuller 

#8 cwilt

cwilt

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,012 posts

Posted 11 August 2015 - 12:23 AM

http://learn.linkspr...l-for-pcduino3/

http://forum.linkspr...+kernel +config

#9 DarthBane

DarthBane

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 22 posts

Posted 11 August 2015 - 01:31 AM

Thank you. Would you want to ssh in and take a look?  I just can not get anywork done unless i get this problem fixed..

Ill be in chat while I am trying to comb over more start stuff...

R. Buckminster Fuller 

#10 cwilt

cwilt

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,012 posts

Posted 11 August 2015 - 01:41 AM

Sorry, but my main job is as a surveyor so I get up very early which means I go sleep early. Maybe Saturday night as Sunday is my only day off.

#11 DarthBane

DarthBane

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 22 posts

Posted 11 August 2015 - 01:46 AM

I will try to work my schedule out to make this happen then.

Resolving the issue is valuable to me.

R. Buckminster Fuller 

#12 DarthBane

DarthBane

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 22 posts

Posted 11 August 2015 - 04:05 PM

Fixed.  Honestly I do not remember if it was systemd, dbus or image or echo 0 >> /sys/devices/sw_ohci.1/properties/usb2/2-1/numbnuts/suspend....

or what.  I have to figure out how I did it.  But at least now we know it is possible.

R. Buckminster Fuller 

#13 cwilt

cwilt

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,012 posts

Posted 11 August 2015 - 04:56 PM

Sweet. When you figure out what you did please post the steps and I will add it to the how-to.

#14 DarthBane

DarthBane

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 22 posts

Posted 14 August 2015 - 03:42 AM

ok.  If you are hung up on the gui turning off on you and not being able to turn it on with spacebar or mouse movement...

1. just go to the commandline (ctrl+alt+t)

2. type: sudo su

3. enter your password.  if youre an idiot and have not changed that yet... It is ubuntu

4. type: apt-get install xcfe-power-manager (or install synaptic and look it up)

5. You should be able to access it now from your preferences menu (ubuntu 14.04.3)

6.  The first time you select power settings it will say power manager is not running... do you want to start it.  SELECT YES.  After that it will run each time you startx/lightdm/lxde/uniupchuck/xxxde...

7.  Go through your settings and set everything to zero or never.  If you do not know how to figure this out... KILL YOURSELF. Love yourself and try harder. :wub: 

That is the quick fix.  The best fix is to just remove the gui altogether and you eliminate all the hidden power settings and limits.  If you can survive like that.

R. Buckminster Fuller 

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: console-kit-daemon, Xorg, Xrandr, ssh, default screen, screen goes blank

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users