Posted 22 February 2016 - 12:13 PM

Anyone made any progress? Right now I have 3 of these collecting dust. =(

#22 eriamjh

eriamjh

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 24 posts

Posted 27 February 2016 - 10:47 AM

I helped myself and bootet Linksprite's image on my Banana Pi M3 (it's necessary to exchange boot0 since there the SoC ID is checked and when wrong boot0 stops -- for details please see http://forum.linkspr...rky/#entry12084)

Also please have a look at lines 133 and 153 in the boot log: http://pastebin.com/GSsdyuAw

Since Banana Pi M3's hardware is different I created another script.bin from a fex file and put it on the 2nd partition of the SD card. Then stopped u-boot autoboot and tried to load it manually. Unfortunately then the boot gets stuck: http://pastebin.com/9nqnzvyE

The uEnv.txt contents seem not to fit u-boot code and it also seems script.bin is never read. Unfortunately the script_extractor binary I tried to use segfaults so I've no clue how to read out sys_config.fex stuff really being used.

Since the Linksprite guys refrain from publishing sources I'll refrain from buying Linksprite products starting from now on.

Regarding 1080p I would have a look at the fbset package and put the necessary fbset call in /etc/rc.local

Lines 140, 141 show that there is no FASTBOOT MBR in the image. It sees 0 partitions. linux-sunxi has a utility to build this (like Allwinner's version of sfdisk.)

They somehow forgot to run the fastboot partition utility/step on the Uno's image.

The STB/its image has this at a constant address on the boot media. It's old, old 2011-09 u-boot boots the kernel by loading an entire 64MB *FASTBOOT* partition into memory (remember H8 skips boot1 -- so u-boot is loaded by the BSP)

This is on the linux-sunxi wiki somewhere around the A20 boot process and then the H8's differences.

The Uno is then skipping uEnv.txt because it also needs the FASTBOOT MBR to find the *RAW* "ENV" partition -- so it uses the static environment compiled into it. You may even be able to interrupt the boot process, change the environment, and then save changes directly back to the static/global variable in u-boot's blob at either +80 or +1600 blocks (IIRC.)

#23 tkaiser

tkaiser

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 25 posts

Posted 02 March 2016 - 09:38 PM

I played a bit around today with an Armbian rootfs and the latest fixes SinoVoip has in their BSP (they learned how to let u-boot read files into RAM: script.bin/uEnv.txt support actually working!). I also tried to patch the kernel up to 3.4.110 (since we have tons of fixes already in our repo), but that just worked out up until 3.4.42, then the 1st patch didn't apply correctly: http://forum.armbian...a-pi-m3/?p=5840

I then combined both and booted this pseudo Armbian image. Works and also uEnv.txt/script.bin will work when stored at the right location. So you unfortunate Linksprite customers are able to use the Banana Pi M3 BSP github repo to fix the problems you suffer from (or did the Linksprite folks realised in the meantime how to support script.bin? In case they don't it's outlined at the end of this mini tutorial how to deal with the situation, the dd if=u-boot.fex of=/dev/$sdcard bs=1k seek=16400 approach).

Anyway: I thought about providing this OS image to you users but since I tested the whole Armbian boot process (board auto detection on 1st boot, automatic rootfs resizing, password resets, SSH key regeneration and so...) now the image is definitely too large (16 GB) and the pcDuino8 Uno isn't worth the efforts as long as Linksprite doesn't publish BSP sources.

BTW: Replies won't be read. I will quit here as long as Linksprite violates the GPL and does not provide at least the crappy BSP sources.

• Mim likes this

#24 tkaiser

tkaiser

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 25 posts

Posted 04 March 2016 - 01:46 PM

BTW: I already deleted the crap from my build host but decided to provide an archive to cure existing OS images for Banana Pi M3 which might also work with H8 boards too since boot0 won't be overwritten. Instructions and path to archive here: http://linux-sunxi.o...na_Pi_M3#Images

The used kernel config is this here. So in case anyone want to try it out, grab an OS image from Linksprite for H8 and follow the aforementioned instructions (you might also untar the kernel modules after the first boot). I would suspect you end up with an OS image containing a few more fixes (at least kernel 3.4.42 instead of 3.4.39) and support for uEnv.txt and script.bin. If that works you know that you simply can use the Banana Pi M3's BSP, adjust kernel config or whateher you want and cure your Linksprite OS images this way unless they realise how moronically it is to not release their BSP sources.

EDIT: Doesn't work since for whatever reason the Linksprite OS images have a different partition layout:

root@linaro-alip:/lib/modules# cat /proc/partitions 
major minor  #blocks  name

179        0    7761920 mmcblk0
 179        1      35840 mmcblk0p1
 179        2      32768 mmcblk0p2
 179        3    7692288 mmcblk0p3
Spoiler

• eriamjh and Mim like this

#25 eriamjh

eriamjh

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 24 posts

Posted 11 March 2016 - 05:31 PM

This is still because it has no "softw411" MBR. It cant find the *FASTBOOT* partition named "boot" in the softw411 MBR.

http://linux-sunxi.o...talling_to_NAND

run "nand-part -A20 [...]" on it with that sfdisk output and naming the partitions and it will likely "find partition boot" (+please!)

#26 smily03

smily03

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 55 posts

Posted 24 October 2016 - 05:01 AM

I haven't messed with it yer, but the custom kernel has this that we might be able to tweak:

https://github.com/p.../sys_config.fex

;----------------------------------------------------------------------------------
;disp init configuration
;
;disp_mode             (0:screen0<screen0,fb0>; 1:screen1<screen1,fb0>)
;screenx_output_type  (0:none; 1:lcd; 3:hdmi;)
;screenx_output_mode  (used for hdmi output, 0:480i 1:576i 2:480p 3:576p 4:720p50)
;                     (5:720p60 6:1080i50 7:1080i60 8:1080p24 9:1080p50 10:1080p60)
;fbx format           (0:ARGB 1:ABGR 2:RGBA 3:BGRA 5:RGB565 8:RGB888 12:ARGB4444 16:ARGB1555 18:RGBA5551)
;fbx_width,fbx_height (framebuffer horizontal/vertical pixels, fix to output resolution while equal 0)
;lcdx_backlight       (lcd init backlight,the range:[0,256],default:197
;----------------------------------------------------------------------------------
[disp_init]
disp_init_enable         = 1
disp_mode                = 0

screen0_output_type      = 3
screen0_output_mode      = 5

screen1_output_type      = 3
screen1_output_mode = 4

#27 smily03

smily03

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 55 posts

Posted 24 October 2016 - 03:31 PM

Well, that didn't seem to make a difference :/

#28 smily03

smily03

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 55 posts

Posted 24 October 2016 - 11:06 PM

I've tried a couple of different things, and have found that if you remove the uEnv.txt or uImage files, the board won't boot. It doesn't seem to care about the script.bin file though.

Reply to this topic

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users