6 replies to this topic

#1 smily03

smily03

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 55 posts

Posted 24 September 2016 - 03:34 PM

I've tried this on two different boards and get the same result. The board boots, and I can ssh into it fine. However, I don't get any serial output on the debug port, or video output on the HDMI port (tried two different displays.)

Is there any way to troubleshoot what's going on? This is with the most recent Ubuntu image from the download site.

#2 Guest_panoflex_*

Guest_panoflex_*
  • Guests

Posted 29 September 2016 - 03:00 PM

does it show antthing the startup like pcduino logo anything?  i have also found it bugs out if you have certain USB attachments plugged in.  i had many issues with this board when i got it on ebay i sort of wish i didnt waste my $10 US plus shipping and got something else.

#3 smily03

smily03

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 55 posts

Posted 03 October 2016 - 02:08 AM

Nope, nothing at all :/ I just wait a minute or so for it to boot, then can SSH/VNC into it.

#4 smily03

smily03

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 55 posts

Posted 05 October 2016 - 02:42 AM

I've been trying a couple of the different images as well, on two different boards, using different SD cards from different manufacturers, and things seem to be the same so far :/ One thing I've noticed is that it apparently does _something_, because it will wake up my LCD monitor occasionally, but then the monitor complains of no signal. The TV doesn't do anything though.

Also thought it might have been the power supply I was using, so I've also tried the super beefy one from my S5, and it didn't make a difference either. Also doesn't matter if the keyboard or network are plugged in or unplugged, etc.

Also tried the standard Linux xwindows shortcuts -- ctrl+alt+backspace to try to restart the GUI, ctrl+shift+f1 through f10 to switch to a console, etc., but nothing :/ Even tried a USB to serial adapter, since my odroid will only output video when it's got a serial terminal connected (due to the settings I put on it to save power.) But that didn't do anything either.

I'm starting to wonder if maybe the design was a dud or something, which I guess would explain why they're going for $5 on eBay and why the moderators don't seem to be active on this forum. Which, in reality, if that is the case, I guess that's ok because they would make ok headless server boards, but it would have just been nice knowing that at the time instead of hoping to be able to read sensors or use them as serial dataloggers, etc...

Also, I'd love to get a Debian or openSuSE image for the boards. But I'm not holding my breath on that one... Maybe I'll try my luck at doing a custom image eventually.

I am curious though -- Did people like Mike actually get a display to work with their pcd8? If so, what image are they using, and did they have to do anything special? If it makes any difference, my boards are listed as revision 1, mfg in Sep 2015.

#5 smily03

smily03

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 55 posts

Posted 24 October 2016 - 02:22 AM

Ok, I finally got video working. I ended up having to do a different display (the output is apparently hard-coded for 720p at 50hz??,) different microsd cable, and found that I couldn't have the display or keyboard hooked up during first boot -- the board would hang indefinitely. But now I'm able to at least view the desktop on a TV.

Going to try to dig through some things to figure out how to fix the display resolution hopefully.

#6 smily03

smily03

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 55 posts

Posted 13 November 2016 - 03:51 AM

Ok, I was able to get the serial output working on the debug port finally. It looks like the labels on the pins might be reversed; I ended up just having to switch the RX and TX pins on my USB-Serial converter, and it is working now.

#7 thefoofighter

thefoofighter

• Members
  • Pip
  • 5 posts

Posted 23 November 2016 - 05:01 AM

Thank you smily, I didnt have any issues on my board with hdmi luckily enough but the Serial issue was driving me up the wall, Firstly i figured it was the pl2303 cable but i tested it on my pcduino3 nano and it worked fine, I tried multiple images and even started looking into how i could check if ttys0 was even enabled and working in linux.

The Images online specifically this (and also from this book) said that the order was RX - GND - TX and this holds true for the Pcdunio3 Nano so that was why i was ripping my hair out, on the PcDunio8 Uno switching the RX with the TX worked.

Why the guys at Linksprite decided to switch them between boards we will probably never know..

This also means that I sent back a perfectly fine board to amazon complaining that the Serial Debug port was faulty ^^

Ah well

Thanks again Smily :)

Reply to this topic

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users