Sign in to follow this  
chain

Wifi Redback current draw

I have been working with the Wifi Redback for a project and so far it has been great! Very compact and I have been able to create a web service that I can query from my local network.
Is there a description of the operating specs when the wifi is turned on? For example, what should I assume is used for current when the wifi is operating? I am building it into a circuit and want to calculate the operation time based on a battery I am using...
Thanks!

Hi.
Thank you that is very helpful, but a few questions of clarification:
* How much more does the Arduino chip take as far as current if this is just the wireless transceiver? It looks like it will go up to 154 mA for just the transceiver... * The input says 3.3 V for the chip, but I can also put in a 5 V regulated power to the Wifi Redback, correct?
Thanks!

1. The Redback has a ATmega328P chip on it, so you can also refer to the chip's datasheet: http://www.atmel.com/Images/Atmel-8271-8-bit-AVR-Microcontroller-ATmega48A-48PA-88A-88PA-168A-168PA-328-328P_datasheet_Complete.pdf

Power Consumption at 1MHz, 1.8V, 25C
– Active Mode: 0.2mA
– Power-down Mode: 0.1µA
– Power-save Mode: 0.75µA (Including 32kHz RTC)

2. Yes, you can put in a 5V power to Redback. 3.3V is the power level for the MRF24WB0MB wifi module. From the schematics of Redback:https://s3.amazonaws.com/linksprite/Shields/RedBack/redback.pdf , you can see the RAW power is convert to 3.3V by the two power IC: MIC5219 and MCP1703.