Sign in to follow this  
bp9606

Unable get reader response in "Answer" mode

I have the long range integrated RFID reader - rs232 version.  I used the configuration software to place the reader in "Answer" mode.  I have tried using the Arduino sample to send the identify command to the reader, to no avail.  I do not get a response when a tag is present.

I placed the reader back in "Active" mode, and connected it to the Arduino, and the sample program is receiving responses from the reader, when it reads a tag.

Ultimately, I would like to use a VB.NET program to query the reader, whenever I need to identify a tag.  I am trying to build a system for a truck scale application.  I can monitor the rs232 output from a scale indicator to detect whenever a truck pulls up on the scale.  I then want to issue a command to the reader, to identify the tag on the truck windshield, to automate ticketing.

I have tried the following VB code, with the reader in answer mode, but it does not read tags.

Private Sub Button1_Click(sender As Object, e As EventArgs) Handles Button1.Click
        Dim mydata As Byte() = {&H7C, &HFF, &HFF, &H1, &H8, &H7D}
        If SerialPort1.IsOpen = False Then SerialPort1.Open()
        SerialPort1.Write(mydata, 0, 6)

End Sub

I even tried this, but it also does not seem to get the reader to look for a tag.

SerialPort1.Write(&H7C)
        SerialPort1.Write(&HFF)
        SerialPort1.Write(&HFF)
        SerialPort1.Write(&H1)
        SerialPort1.Write(&H8)
        SerialPort1.Write(&H7D)

I can read the responses from the reader with my VB program, when it is in "Active" mode and constantly broadcasting tag identities.

Obviously, I'm not understanding something.  I would simply like to issue a command to the reader to identify a tag in proximity, then my program will act on the response from the reader.  Can anyone shed any light on this?  

I used the RRU1861Csharp.DLL and the Basic.DLL to open my RFID readers then read the tags.

I would like to get away from using the DLL so let me know how your progress is going.

I have mine set on a timer so it is constantly looking for a tag would be nice if I could trigger it and lengthen the life of the reader.